Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Red faces lead to deeper looks into alcohol flush

For many college students, drinking is a way to relax or to sometimes loosen up. But for a certain group of people, there's nothing relaxing or exciting about grabbing unwanted attention and physical discomfort with the redness that comes with the consumption of a beer. These people have been made fun of, being called “Tomato” or “Cherry-face.” This redness is called ‘alchohol flush reaction.’

The flushing response may follow symptoms like nausea, and a rapid heart beat that scientists think is caused mainly by an inherited deficiency in an enzyme called ALDH2. ALDH2 is an enzyme that belongs to the aldehyde dehydrogenase family of enzymes which catalyze the chemical transformation from acetaldehyde to acetic acid. ALDH2 is the second enzyme of the major oxidative pathway of alcohol metabolism

As little as half a bottle of beer can trigger the reaction. It is also commonly referred to as "Asian flush syndrome" or "the Asian glow" because it occurs frequently in certain Asian populations. The flushing may indicate an increased risk for a deadly throat cancer, researchers report.

When most people drink alcohol, enzymes in their guts break it down and turn it into things that the body can eliminate as waste or store for energy. But some people have genetic mutations that keep the enzymes from doing their job, causing acetaldehyde - a toxic substance - to build up in their blood when they drink. People with two copies of the gene have such unpleasant reactions that they are unable to consume large amounts of alcohol. This aversion actually protects them against the increased risk for cancer. But those with only one copy can develop a tolerance to acetaldehyde and become heavy drinkers.

“What we’re trying to do here is raise awareness of this risk factor among doctors and their ALDH2-deficient patients," said Dr. Philip J. Brooks, an investigator with the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, and an author of the report published on Monday in the journal PLoS Medicine. “It’s a pretty serious risk."

“I'm actually hoping for an answer to this one too..., I've heard pepcid works, little before you drink, and on a full stomach. But it’s an extremely annoying problem. People will tell you, well just don't drink. But first, you want to have a good time once in a while, and sometimes you don't have a choice. I'm a waitress and every week in a class, we have to try out new kinds of alcohol for the first hand experience of a buzz on it. I cannot skip this because it helps me familiarize with all the drinks very effectively, yet I can't get up from the class after one or two drinks looking totally blown, and the worst part is my tolerance is the same as most people my size, i just get beet red after one drink and maybe the slightest buzz…please help” says Nicole Tangie of Sudbury, ON in response to a ‘Health Message Board’ article.

6 comments:

  1. This seems like a health issue that should be given more attention in the press. I've known two heavy drinkers who developed throat cancer--one of them died. I'm not sure the general population thinks of alcohol as a cancer-causing agent, but anything the press can do to reduce the number of cancer cases would be beneficial. I've always thought that alcohol was the most dangerous "drug" out there, and this information only supports that belief. There's nothing wrong with having a good time--but I'm all for more information out there about what alcohol can do to people who abuse it or those who cannot tolerate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know lots of people that happens to. It's a common problem. I've never heard about beer being the contributing factor, only wine. I also have heard about it being accompanied by an itchy chest or arms, similarly to an allergic reaction. If alcohol is causing someone medical malfunctions then they need to find alternative means to losening up. I feel bad for people who cant put down the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a lot of people that get flush red when they drink, but I had no idea that it could be an indication of a potential increased risk for throat cancer. That's frightening to hear.

    I don't drink anyway because I don't like the taste of alcohol. That and my uncle is a raging alcoholic and once you've seen how it can really screw up a person's life, including your own, you really don't want to pick up a bottle.

    It's interesting though, I never knew about the enzyme breakdown, very enlightening. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had a class that we were required to drink a different alcohol once a week, I would ace that class with no problem! I quess I would never know how this syndrome would affect me because I don't turn red.

    Maybe it is a good thing wrapped up in a bad way, if they can tie the red syndrome to a certain type of throat cancer maybe everyone should take a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to recommend all to read and share this post.

    hangover cure

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. birre shop online

    ReplyDelete