Monday, March 9, 2009

FACEBOOK’S private policies turn public

Facebook,” one of the world’s largest social networks, has a chief privacy officer that has been predicted to diminish in the next few years because of its enormous growth and the building of relationships with other competing and social networks leading to a smaller gap between the private and the public. The main issue is that many of Facebook’s members consisting of mostly high school students, college students, and graduates, all seem to have no problem with sharing their personal information, but also have the concern of having their privacy withdrawn. Among members, a Law of Amiable Inclusiveness seems to be revealing itself: over time, many are deciding that the easiest path is to routinely accept “friend requests,” completing a sequence begun when one member seeks to designate another as a Facebook friend. In other words, they are defining “friend” simply as any Facebook member who communicates a wish to be one. Facebook provides many different types of privacy policies and options, where many of these members do not take advantage of. They ignore the opportunity to change their privacy settings and then blame the network for revealing such private data. But many of these private settings can be easily “tweaked” by users who need or want to find out more about an individual. Facebook does let members create customized subsets of friends. Members can selectively restrict access to some items, such as photo albums and videos. But because of the amount of time and/or amount of clicks a user must go through to create a custom permission account, many of these users are shying away from the advantages that Facebook offers. For many members, “friends” now means a mish-mash of real friends, former friends, friends of friends, and non-friends; younger and older relatives; colleagues and, if cursed, a nosy boss or two. Everyone accepted as a “friend” gets the same access. When the distinction blurs between one’s few close friends and the many that are not, it seems pointless to distinguish between private and public.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know that facebook will be over taken for quite some time. I know that twitter is moving up there.

    At the same time, people should take advantage of the personal and customizable settings. I know that I most certainly do. I'm not sure that the average person does though, and moreover, I'm not sure that the average person even knows how to take advantage of those settings to their fullest potential. The reason being, the facebook layout is bland and it blends together well. Certain features may be hard to find, or even confused for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with Christina about the "hard-to-find" features of Facebook. What started out as a way for high school and college kids to connect has morphed into a giant privacy concern, so it would be nice to easily protect your personal information and be able to easily categorize friends. Complicating all this was the recent announcement that private information stays forever with Facebook--then after this announcement was challenged, administrators backed down. I'm all for the concept of Facebook, but privacy has become a big issue for Americans. I love how I can't talk to my parents' doctors because of the privacy act but my home can be seen on Google Maps and my name, address and phone are all on Switchboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people need to quit worrying about their online profile and get out and expirence life. My "facebook profile" is never up to date of too revealing due to the fact that I am way to busy interacting with people face to face. All these online social networks and the problems they cause or bring to the surface are going to eventually cause people to be socially inept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just don't see how people can stay glued to a computer all day just chatting with someone online, what's wrong with the telephone? I realize some people feel more comfortable talking to others online but they will become socially inept. I created a myspace about three years ago for the first time because I was up to four o clock in the morning and couldn't go to sleep. It had me hooked at first but it got real boring after two days for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it's just me but I could care less about Facebook or it's privacy policies, its crazy that our nation is going through hard times and what we consider as something important includes Facebook.

    I heard it on the radio, on t.v, it's just sad but I guess the media is all about the gossipers and giving them the scoop on what they want to hear.

    ReplyDelete