Tuesday, April 7, 2009

More than confetti falling Monday

The game ending buzzer went off, the confetti fell, and North Carolina’s head coach’s eyes watered. The NCAA basketball tournament was nothing less of a fun ride for Coach Roy Williams of the North Carolina Tar heels. “They took me for a beautiful ride,” he said about his players.

This victory was Williams’ second NCAA Championship and he is currently in third place for the most winning programs in college history behind Kentucky and UCLA.

The pro-Spartans crowd of 72,922 at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan was taken out of the game early and never proved a significant factor.

“The best team won,” Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo said. “That’s an easy statement to make. They played well.”

North Carolina blasted Michigan State, 89-72, to win its fifth national championship for the University. Michigan State’s run of hope ended as the Tar Heels jumped to a 20-point lead in the first 10 minutes.

“It was a perfect storm,” Izzo said.

Williams’ two national titles equal the total of the North Carolina Hall of Fame coach Dean Smith, which is a great honor and privilege said Williams. With tears in his eyes Williams said, “I’m the luckiest coach in America, I can tell you that.”

5 comments:

  1. My husband and son are UNC alumni, so you can bet we were thrilled when that confetti started falling. I can just picture the scene on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill now. Interestingly enough, the media exposed what I thought was a huge mistake by Tom Izzo before the game. In a locker room segment, he was quoted as telling his team that although UNC would run on them, they should keep the damage to a minimum. He was then quoted as telling a reporter that if both teams played their best, his would lose. Uh, how is this supposed to inspire young men to beat the odds? Bad motivational speaker, if you ask me, but I don't care since my team won! Go Heels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geeze. I'm sorry but I hate sports and this is like 3rd athleticly fused article I've had to comment about. Thats pretty cool that UNC won. I guess? I've never watched a football, baseball or basketball game in my entire life. If that reporter was saying nonmotivational things towards players. Then the company they work for needs to do some renovations. When your a publicly representing a company, you shouldnt be biast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really watch basketball, but you did a good job covering this story, and posting a blog about it.

    It's good that such sports can bring people a feeling of happiness, and make them feel unified. It must be nice to work so hard at something, and even better when you reap the full benefits by becoming an NCAA Championship member.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really didn't get to catch any of the March Madness this year because I've been so busy at work. The highlights that I have seen from all the games make this tournament very memorable. It kind of sucks that the championship game was pretty much dominated though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not really a sports fan so it took me a few times of reading this blog to understand all of the elements. I think it is a good thing that they won and I take it that you are a fan of the winning team. I see this as a new window of opportunity for all the players on both sides because they made it further than the rest.

    ReplyDelete